Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2020-07-06, 22:37:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: VTMR GOG.com version console issue  (Read 10109 times)

Mort

• Team
VTMR GOG.com version console issue
« on: 2010-05-08, 22:56:11 »

Whats up. Long time no see. <3

I recently installed the GoG.com version of VTMR (great buy compared to the overpriced retails on amazon.com)  I got it up and going great, though I came to find that console does not work in game even with the -console command in the target line.  I asked some other people i know that have the same version and they all have the same issue.  Anyway to fix this, Mr. Rainmoon?  :D
« Last Edit: 2010-05-08, 22:57:49 by mgust35 »
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

Mort

• Team
Re: VTMR GOG.com version console issue
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-15, 17:58:44 »

I checked different mods as well and the console issue seems to be the same.
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-17, 10:52:15 »

No specific cause of this problem has been identified, but it has been narrowed to the following possibilities:

-You are using Vista (Vista did it)
-You are using an LCD monitor (/w Vista)

I don't recall people having issues with the console till LCD monitors and Vista became more widely used. The console issue is not related to how you installed VTMR or what mods are installed. It is related to video adapter drivers + monitor settings. Try changing refresh rates, update or downgrade video drivers, install all Vista updates, and change resolution. 

If none of this applies then your are SOL.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Mort

• Team
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-17, 13:07:44 »

Yeah I am using a 23 inch HD LCD monitor so that is probably the reason.  Couldn't be anything associated with vista since i'm using windows 7. 

I tried all your suggestions but none worked.

SOL indeed.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-17, 13:16:06 »

The issue can also be how your video card uses HDMI or DVI ports, you might want to see if using VGA will solve the problem. Probably a long shot, but you don't happen to have a CRT laying around to test on, do ya?
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Mort

• Team
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-17, 14:24:25 »

The computer I use does not have VGA ports.  Just 2 DVI ports.  I have to use a VGA to DVI adapter to run my monitor on it.

I do not have a CRT.

I was experimenting around though with an older computer that had an older retail version of VTMR on it and hooked it up to my monitor and I was able to use console fine in game.  Due to this, It can't be a monitor issue, but probably a graphic card/driver issue, etc that is on my newer computer.  Though I did mess around with different drivers, refesh rates, resolutions as you suggested.  I'll keep messing around for possible solutions.

Also could it be a win7 64bit issue?
« Last Edit: 2010-05-17, 14:43:26 by mgust35 »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-17, 16:50:09 »

I have win 7 64-bit with a 19' LCD as well as a Radeon HD 4870 vid card using DVI. Console works just fine, but I had some minor issues with console back when I was first using Vista 32-bit on my 8800GTS. I had to double press the ~ key a few times to get console to pop up. Seemed to resolve itself after several Vista updates. I haven't had the issue since. Not even after updating to win 7 and a new video card.

Mort

• Team
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-18, 05:48:45 »

Yeah I had your exact problem on my older computer.  Had to spam ~ a million times to get the damn console to stay up XD.  It got very frustrating when proping maps.

As for the video card im using now, its a GeForce GTX 260.  I'll keep messing with things and see what I get.  Let me know if you have any more suggestions.  I appreciate your help.

EtaYorius

• Jewish Gothic Chef
  • Team
  • EtaYorius Mystic
    • CLICK HERE TO VISIT MYSPACE SITE.
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-27, 08:07:15 »

Console works perfect on my end, the one that does not work most of the time is pressing enter to be able to chat, somehow i need to press it like 5-6 times for it to appear, sometimes i cant just use the damn chat box.
Victims... arent we all?

Paine

« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-26, 02:17:00 »

No specific cause of this problem has been identified, but it has been narrowed to the following possibilities:

-You are using Vista (Vista did it)
-You are using an LCD monitor (/w Vista)

I don't recall people having issues with the console till LCD monitors and Vista became more widely used. The console issue is not related to how you installed VTMR or what mods are installed. It is related to video adapter drivers + monitor settings. Try changing refresh rates, update or downgrade video drivers, install all Vista updates, and change resolution. 

If none of this applies then your are SOL.

Turning on vsync should fix the console and other keyboard input problems.

Mort

• Team
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-03, 00:50:16 »

Turned Vertical Sync to "force on" in the NVIDIA control panel.

No go. Wierd as hell.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-03, 00:56:22 by mgust35 »

Mort

• Team
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-23, 16:33:48 »

After almost a year of being unsolved, the issue has been found.  Thought I would post for you guys so you can help anyone who has the issue in the future.

Taken from a godsend on some random forum:

Hello! This post may be a little late, but considering GoG still has this game available for purchase I am going to add what an hour and a half worth of research has revealed:
I have Windows 7 and play on an HP DV8000 laptop. I could NOT get the console to work. I edited the shortcut that was added during installation flawlessly. I tried everything I could think of...hitting the tilde key repeatedly, using the FN key with tilde, using Shift + tilde, adjusting my display settings in case the high graphic setting were somehow not allowing the console to display properly, rebooting, adding a different shortcut using the .exe file directly from the installation folder...my head hurts... I work QA for a gaming company so this was something that I was not going to give up on.
Well, I must be damn good at my job because I got the console working. There was nothing wrong with the shortcut. After researching the issue I found that for MANY different games, the tilde ~ key was not bringing up ANY sort of console. Here is what you do:
- Go to control panel (through Start menu).
- Next click on Keyboard (this can be found by adjusting your viewing option (upper right View by: ) and select small or large icons). You can also access Keyboards through your device manager.
- Keyboard properties should now be an open window. If accessed through device manager, open the Keyboard branch and right click to access Properties.
- Click the tab at the top titled Hardware. Device manager: Click the tab at the top labeled Driver.
- If you see about 3 Microsoft blah blah blah keyboard options, highlight EACH ONE and uninstall the device. I was left with Standard PS/2 Keyboard. I assumed Standard meant the main keyboard.
I then went into the game via the edited shortcut and loaded my game. I hit the tilde key (~ or `) and the console command bar appeared at the top of the screen. I hope this helps. Uninstalling those worthless Microsoft keyboards apparently works for a lot of other games as well.

GreenDragon

« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-27, 01:50:15 »

After almost a year of being unsolved, the issue has been found.  Thought I would post for you guys so you can help anyone who has the issue in the future.

Taken from a godsend on some random forum:

Hello! This post may be a little late, but considering GoG still has this game available for purchase I am going to add what an hour and a half worth of research has revealed:
I have Windows 7 and play on an HP DV8000 laptop. I could NOT get the console to work. I edited the shortcut that was added during installation flawlessly. I tried everything I could think of...hitting the tilde key repeatedly, using the FN key with tilde, using Shift + tilde, adjusting my display settings in case the high graphic setting were somehow not allowing the console to display properly, rebooting, adding a different shortcut using the .exe file directly from the installation folder...my head hurts... I work QA for a gaming company so this was something that I was not going to give up on.
Well, I must be damn good at my job because I got the console working. There was nothing wrong with the shortcut. After researching the issue I found that for MANY different games, the tilde ~ key was not bringing up ANY sort of console. Here is what you do:
- Go to control panel (through Start menu).
- Next click on Keyboard (this can be found by adjusting your viewing option (upper right View by: ) and select small or large icons). You can also access Keyboards through your device manager.
- Keyboard properties should now be an open window. If accessed through device manager, open the Keyboard branch and right click to access Properties.
- Click the tab at the top titled Hardware. Device manager: Click the tab at the top labeled Driver.
- If you see about 3 Microsoft blah blah blah keyboard options, highlight EACH ONE and uninstall the device. I was left with Standard PS/2 Keyboard. I assumed Standard meant the main keyboard.
I then went into the game via the edited shortcut and loaded my game. I hit the tilde key (~ or `) and the console command bar appeared at the top of the screen. I hope this helps. Uninstalling those worthless Microsoft keyboards apparently works for a lot of other games as well.

That was very helpful. It seems that the Microsoft keyboard drivers are installed again when the computer is restarted though. Any solution to this?

Mort

• Team
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-27, 13:07:43 »

I had the same issue.  I had this information bookmarked so I think this is what I did to fix it.  No promises though.

Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices -> Microsoft eHome Infrared Tranceiver [right click]
 -update driver software
 -browse my computer for driver software
 -let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
 -untick Show compatible hardware
 -select HID-compliant consumer control device, Next
 Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices -> "HID-compliant consumer control device" -> Disable
 -restart computer

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.