Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2020-08-10, 17:32:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plans for Next Release  (Read 15894 times)

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
Plans for Next Release
« on: 2007-07-28, 09:55:59 »

Here's a list of things that will done for next release (0.2a):

-Include Complete Documentation
-Add [inworld] command then deprecate the [targetexists] command (inworld will be better)
-Fixed the iterate command and allow it to iterate through storage
-Add another param to the [compare] check command to allow either numbers or text to be compared
-Add a [loop] command
-Change the concatenation code to be more flexible (all scripts containing concatenation code will need to be changed)
-Add a tracepath option to the Flight command (allows flight of great distances on or off roofs and still be able to walk)
-Move all error messages to an easier to read log file
-Include more examples to showcase ALL COMMANDS AVAILABLE
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

ORI

Re: Plans for Next Release
« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-28, 10:23:38 »

Lol and I just thought of releasing the Lure of Flame discipline , but looks like im going to have to heavily modify it once the new release is out because it has alot of <>, [compare] and [targetexists] in it. 

Hmm maybe describing the intended syntax changes in detail(the ones that are to be replaced/updated)will allow me to write the rest ahead instead of halting development altogther.

Does the Log file means I wont be able to view the errors in game? it can be kind of confusing (being unable to tell at what part it outputs error+ I cant Alt+Tab out of the game)
« Last Edit: 2007-07-28, 11:03:00 by ORI »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-28, 13:37:10 »

I may just deprecate the old concatenation syntax.

Does the Log file means I wont be able to view the errors in game? it can be kind of confusing (being unable to tell at what part it outputs error+ I cant Alt+Tab out of the game)

There will be options you can enable/disable to view wodal bugs in-game, mostly in the form of a command you input into your scripts.

Be adviced that this is still an early stage language and may not be recognizable by the time it goes beta. I have plans to remove as much syntax as possible given my knowledge. Eventually, scripts may start looking like this:

{fire: target, proj_fireball, 50, fire}
{console: caster, "<name.caster> throws a fireball!", ff0000}

Which I think looks cooler than what Wodal currently looks like. So you might want to consider that in later releases. Most of what I'm doing now is experimentation, but I appreciate having testers around making sure the stuff works.

« Last Edit: 2007-07-28, 15:29:13 by Javokis »
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

ORI

« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-28, 16:07:59 »

The function appears to remain the same then . I kind of got used to the old syntax though, its very easy to understand for me either way if the structure interface of the commands and functions remain similar.

Correct me if im wrong but the only diffence is instead of a  [param] (param) (param) you do {param,param,param} ? Anyway ill just hold off on writing until there is a final syntax because otherwise its probably just going to be a pain to change it around all the time , I think ill focus more on modelling and testing then so no worries.

I will post what I did so far though, just need to stick all the powers in the appropriate define text and put some finish, it might be good for educational reasoning (I wrote what each part of the code does in commentary so its understandable)
« Last Edit: 2007-07-28, 16:34:05 by ORI »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-28, 16:38:54 »

I will keep all of my older versions of the mod. So everyone can try the old stuff out and see what they like best. So no worries.

Edit: Well it's official. The new syntax will be a permanent part of Wodal. I'll be having edit the docuementation a bit along with the command reference guide among other things, but I'm very satisfied with the look. I think character files look more natural and because the WHOLE command is inside one set of { } I am considering allowing for more than one command per line with this more efficient system. That way a character sheet can look like so:

Code: [Select]
              ;---Physical                            Mental                            Social
                {strength: 4}                     {perception: 2}              {charisma: 1}
                {dexterity: 2}                    {intelligence: 3}              {manipulation: 2}
                {stamina: 2}                      {wits: 3}                        {appearance: 2}

Something like that. BTW: {charwriter} works better than ever and should support the new syntax.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-29, 01:30:27 by Javokis »

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-29, 13:49:06 »

Whoa... I seem to be giving myself quite a chore by doing multi-command line reading. Now's a good time to start coding that logging system.

ORI

« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-29, 19:55:23 »

Will it help WoDal to scan through the *.txt files faster?

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #7 on: 2007-07-29, 23:30:25 »

A little. I did notice some boost in speed reading the char files you made after I redid them into WoDal's new syntax.

I attached the changes to syntax to this post so to give you a head start on looking over it. I did remove some things, but go ahead and add them back in. The new logging system is fairly working though sometimes it doesn't log the CHAR Checker sometimes. Not too sure why,

ORI

« Reply #8 on: 2007-07-30, 03:15:01 »

For Clarification

So on a line like:  {knowledge: occult, 5}

charcheck will work as so?
{charcheck: caster, store, randomname: knowledge , occult} ?

and refered to in the code afterwards like so?

<var.caster.randomname> ?

assuming randomname is just a name I choose for the created variable

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #9 on: 2007-07-30, 07:59:14 »

Yuppers.  ;)

Does that seem easier to do or harder to do in the new syntax?

Now that <casterstore_> is gone, you'll have to use <var>, but here's the up side:

<var.can be any target keyword or storage target address.randomname>

You couldn't check a stored object with the old system. Now you can. Same works with <stat>. The new system is a lot more flexible I think and should allow you to accomplish even more. When I start implementing chronicle script capabilities in later releases I WILL NEED VARIABLES so to store a quest or conversation flag or some such, but hopefully WoDal will make chronicle scripting easier.

ORI

« Reply #10 on: 2007-07-30, 09:33:38 »

Yuppers.  ;)

Does that seem easier to do or harder to do in the new syntax?

Its easier for me because its less typing I think, you might want to ask people who are totally new to coding though.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #11 on: 2007-07-30, 11:00:27 »

Oh well. At the very least, programmers can skip the step of compiling a script and just have a saved .txt file instead - faster mod development, simplicity, and less code typing are what goals WoDal attempts to achieve.

On the other hand, the only way to really be simple is to make a WoDal program that writes scripts for you. I've always had thoughts about making one, but that will be far in the future.

ORI

« Reply #12 on: 2007-07-30, 13:35:54 »

my thoughts are not towards simple, but more like user friendly that people find easy to learn.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #13 on: 2007-07-31, 00:00:29 »

OMG. LOL. Check this out:

[video removed]

Here's the script for it:

Code: [Select]
{event: cast}
{iterate: props, prop}
{flight: props, target, proj_grenade, 100, fire}
{enditerate}
{endevent}

Hehehehe. The iterator is working now. ;)
« Last Edit: 2010-01-20, 18:53:05 by Javokis »

ORI

« Reply #14 on: 2007-07-31, 09:41:27 »

Hmm looks good
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 26 queries.