Please Help Support E-Mods.net by Donating

e-mods.net

• 2020-07-12, 21:17:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Looking for VTMR Modding Tutorials? Check out the Modding Tutorials section of e-mods.net.

Author Topic: Combining AoR and WtD  (Read 5356 times)

Maleficent

Combining AoR and WtD
« on: 2014-04-02, 15:25:48 »

I like some of the disciplines from AoR, and the AI, and the main screens. I also like some of the disciplines from WtD mod and the loading without requiring a specific loader.

Is there a way I can modify these to be a single package and manually handle conflicts on a case-by-case basis? (e.g. Adding Shroud of Night to the WtD list of disciplines)

I noticed the disciplines are stored in a .class file in the Codex.nob file for AoR. The file is binary encoded, and I looked into it a bit further with some people suggesting that I use JDK 1.1.8 specifically to modify these files. I acquired JDK 1.1.8, but it only wants to install and run on 32-bit operating systems. So, before I load a virtual machine with the JDK, is there an easier way of going about modifying these files? Are these even the files I need to modify to add and edit disciplines for WtD mod from the AoR mod?

What is the best suggested course of action?

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
Re: Combining AoR and WtD
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-02, 16:23:43 »

Best course of action is to go here:

https://e-mods.net/modules/nodsdkprojects/

Combining two mods together actually requires you to understand how to mod. It's not a simple case of copy/pasta.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Maleficent

« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-02, 19:00:05 »

Okay, thanks.

So, I have been working through this a bit, and I realise that it would be helpful to have the WTD mod source as well as the AoR source that you provided. I would assume the reason you did not include some of the mods that WTD did was because you did not have the source to copy/paste it over, and to recode it from scratch would have been a pain.

Is this a correct assumption? Or, do you know where I might find the WTD source?

I got my copy of WTD from the planetvampire site, and when I went looking for the old WoD mod, the site was no longer active and the links were broken. I have a feeling the original WTD mod site is the same situation, but I was unable to find it with a Google search. What are your suggestions?

To clarify, I am very fluent in C and working my way through JAVA is not a big leap. I have created a new project file already, and moved most of the relevant source files for Shroud of Night into the new project from your AoR source project. I am working my way through the game.nxx files now for both WTD and AoR mods. I do feel comfortable doing some JAVA coding if needed, but I would assume that some things you have already looked into and determined to be not worth the hassle. I also assume that you are likely more fluent in JAVA than myself.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-03, 13:08:28 »

Back when I was on the WTD team, I asked VCaleb what was his vision for the WTD mod? His answer was that he actually wanted WTD to be like Wod Mod, but without the pnp rules. With that, you could take the source code from the Wod Mod then remove the pnp aspects of the code. You would then have [essentially] a functioning WTD Mod within the vision of VCaleb. Unfortunately, I can't find the Wod Mod anymore either.

The last time I heard anything about WTD was from one of the team members making a post at Planet Vampire forum. I asked this supposed team member if they could actually launch the source code to WTD, but they said something about there intellectual property rights. Seems to me that those who have the WTD source are much like Activision; They would rather see it dead than lose control over it.

To be quite frank, there's nothing in the WTD mod that can't be recreated by a skilled modder. By today's standards, a lot of WTD disciplines are really quite simple. The only reason I haven't jumped on a WTD revival is because I have my own identity. My 3 major mods were all built from scratch. I'd sooner see my own trilogy complete than try to complete someone else's.

Ultimately, WTD and WOD mod are dead ends with no real support these days.
"There's nothing wrong with horses dicks, there's nothing wrong with sucking horses dicks." -Signo

Mort

• Team
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-03, 22:05:17 »

Ultimately, WTD and WOD mod are dead ends with no real support these days.

Now that I think of it, all mods outside of e-mods.net content are dead ends these days.
"Ordog, when I said "Give me some gold," I meant to do some cool moves; not drop a bag of gold.."

Maleficent

« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-05, 00:18:32 »

Javokis, once again, thanks for the reply. I was worried that I can't Google, so it actually makes me feel better that you couldn't find it either.

That being said, I like what you have done for the community. I am about halfway through the tutorials, and finally to the discipline modding section. I have pulled down all of the relevant 2ED and Revised books that I can find, and I have built a framework to start from.

I decided Obtenebration skills and rituals would be a good place to start since I started this specifically for the Shroud of Night skill. I have been working to figure out how to cast Shroud of Night as a projectile, and have the radius be determined by the level. I also would like the smokey area to be much more dense than it currently is.

That all seems simple enough from what I have seen so far. I already added some other basic skills and have been digging through all of the files figuring them out. The next step is to see if I can:
1. Make the caster unaffected by their own Shroud.
2. Nullify fire damage within the Shroud.
3. Remove all sounds from the game for any objects within the area of the Shroud.

If I can do all of that, then I believe it will be about as close to the skill as described in the Guide to the Sabbat book. I do realise that the fire and sound things may not even be possible, and I can't tell for sure yet, but perhaps the caster immunity may not be possible either.

I would love to hear your input on this, and further discussion I will move to the Scripting thread.

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-05, 12:39:32 »

That seems like a pretty cool idea for the Shroud of Night. If you check out the Silence of Death script I made in the aor source, there's only one basic option to attempt to silence objects. Unfortunately, it can't silence the weapons you're carrying. There might be way to do that theoretically, that is to query to inventory and silence the equipped weapon. This should be done as an ef_ script because those have a duration that allow you to script a reverse effect - Check Silence of Death for an example.

As for getting this to move around; I think the source code to the BFG weapon I made would be a good example of a moving projectile that queries nearby objects as it moves slowly. On the other hand, a projectile might not be a good idea. Instead, you can make a stationary object that can "move" on an attached "rail" object to the desired position. I have an example script of something similar in the E-Mod 1.9 source code for the Light & Darkness powers that should be included in my eclipse workspace.

In essence, you would need several scripts to pull this off in a way that let's the player move a scripted object on scripted rails.

I just looked up the script; check out the SpellLDLight.java script in the EMod_1_9 work folder of eclipse. Another example would be the SpellLDSunlight.java. The discipline actually creates the "rails" to move the object around. The objects that are manipulated by the discipline are setup as MOVE_TYPE_TRACK objects in the NOT Editor.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-18, 00:05:12 by Javokis »

Maleficent

« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-07, 07:05:15 »

So, actually, this is essentially what I am attempting to replicate:

Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised Edition) - pg. 169

The vampire can create a cloud of inky blackness. The cloud completely obscures light, and even sound to some extent. The tenebrous cloud may even move, if the creating Kindred so wishes.

Success on the roll generates darkness roughly 10 feet in diametre. The cloud may be invoked at a distance of up to 50 yards.

The tarry mass actually extinguishes light sources it engulfs (with the exception of fire), and muffles sounds to the point of indistinguishability. Those in the cloud lose all sense of sight and feel as though they've been immersed in pitch. Sound also warps and distorts within the cloud. Even those possessed of Heightened Senses or Eyes of the Beast suffer +2 difficulty penalties for most actions.

I am loading up the Emod 1.9 project to take a look at the scripts you suggested.

Phantom of the Vamp

« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-17, 21:14:24 »

If you guys need WOD mod to look at, borrow from, test etc.  I've got version 1.01, and version 1.02 .exe installs (Vampire, Changeling, Mage and Werewolf Mods).  There was also WOD Mage: The Ascension version 1.0.  I've got some WTD but I'm not sure if it's complete. 

Javokis

• Horses Dick
    • E-Mods.net
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-18, 10:44:40 »

Could you go upload it to PlanetVampire.com? Those are the mods PV is missing right now. Back when PV was with IGN, those mods used to have their own sub domain. I think it's about time PV acquires those mods in its collection again.

Phantom of the Vamp

« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-19, 09:54:46 »

Ok, I have WodMod uploaded to vampireplanet here:

http://www.planetvampire.com/modules/files/view.php?id=770

The tomes were neat, if you guys can get them working in your projects that'd be awesome. 

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 26 queries.